Top Five Tuesday - Sarah’s top five YA Comics



This week Sarah brings us her Top 5 YA Comics

42192440. sy475  
Heartstopper by Alice Oseman (Author & Artist)
I doubt anyone is surprised by this being the top of my list.
It is cute, queer, heartwarming and entertaining! 
Two teen boys meet, grow as friends, one openly gay, the other not so much, and the ending leaves us with the hope they could be more.
The art is adorable, the characters are adorable, the plot is adorable - the whole darn thing is adorable.

36064768. sy475
Fence by C.S. Pacat (Author) & Johanna the Mad (Artist)
Fabulous fellows, intense fencing tournaments and even more intense friendships. 
The first issue perfectly set up the tension between Nicholas and Seiji. And I even enjoyed the fencing, a sport I previously hadn’t given much thought to.
The artwork is beautiful! Clear, detailed and flows wonderfully.

20898019
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson (Author) & Adrian Alphona (Artist)
A Jersey teen, who happens to be Muslim, is suddenly and supprisingly bestowed with the mantel of Ms Marvel. Cue identity crisis, struggling to handle strange and strong new powers and the hijinks that come from teenagers trying to hide things from their parents.
I loved meeting Kamala Khan, who I think makes a fantastic Ms. Marvel.

35249910
Runaways, Vol. 1: Find Your Way Home by Rainbow Rowell (Author) & Kris Anka (Artist)
Rowell’s reboot of Vaughan’s original series and what a fantastic reboot it is!! As soon as I finished reading it I went and ordered the next two collections!
I don’t think you would need to have read all the previous series by Vaughan to enjoy Rowell’s reboot, she does summarise a little, but It makes it all that much more epic if you are already invested in the characters.

And of course we can’t have the start of the reboot without the start of the original!
7389
Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy by Brian K. Vaughan (Author) & Adrian Alphona (Artist)
A group of teens who discover their parents are the villains, not the superheroes (of the marvel universe) and subsequently end up on the run for their lives.
Pride and Joy is the strong start of what turns into stellar series.
Runaways gets queerer as the series goes on, oh and did I mention there is a psychically linked Velociraptor! - oh yeah!

Follow Sarah at her Blog, Twitter, Instagram, and Goodreads


What's your pick for this week? Share on your blog, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, or in the comments below! Make sure you tag your posts with #AusYABloggers so we can share the love.

1 comment

  1. I don't know why I didn't get an email for this post!
    I NEED to continue the Ms Marvel comics. I really loved them.
    And I also need to get on the Runaways comics, too.
    This is an excellent selection, Sarah! 💜

    ReplyDelete

© AusYABloggers. Design by Fearne.