The Spooky Scary Book Tag




Today we thought we would bring you something fun, a book tag! While Halloween isn't that big in Australia and New Zealand we know it is elsewhere, also our former American bullied us into it. This isn't a new tag, it has been around for a few years now!

1. What goes bump in the night? Name a book that has legitimately scared you while reading it.


Sarah: Well I tend to stay away from any books that I think will scare me. I'm not a fan of horror movies and such. But the last book I read that gave me nightmares was Ballad for a Mad Girl by Vikki Wakefield. And I loved it. 
Brooklynne: I'm not sure many books legitimately scare me that often, I think the closest would have been Wilder Girls, by Rory Power. I'm not sure if I had any fingernails left at the end of this book.
Tash: Honestly, I more then  likely to get scared by someone tapping me on the shoulder then reading a book. If I had to name a book, hmmm  You ? I haven't gotten scared reading a Young Adult book  
Star: Small Spaces by Sarah Epstein - that book was so eerie and creepy and SO hecking good. It's a book I STILL think about to this day. 
Brooklyn: Risk by Fleur Ferris. It scares me that they're such disgusting monsters in the world that relentlessly take the lives of young girls without a second thought. 
Kait: What the Woods Keep by Katya De Becerra

2. Jack O’ Lanterns and Classic Costumes: A book you always reach for during Halloween time.

Sarah: I don't have a go to book, but I have a go to movie: Hocus Pocus. 
Brooklynne: Without a doubt The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, I grab it every year and it is just so perfectly atmospheric. 
Tash: I don't have a particular book that I . I try to read more paranormal/horror around this time of year like Carry On, or V.E. Schwab books for example   
Star: I don't reach for a book, but I do enjoy re-watching The Craft movie every year.
Brooklyn: Not so much nowadays, because I don't really have the time to reread as much as I'd like - but I used to always reread Halloween Party by Agatha Christie! 
Kait: Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake 

3. Black Cats and Magic Mirrors: A book you love that is laced with superstition and/or magic.

Sarah: Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins - Actually the whole Hex Hall series, but Demonglass was my favourite.
Brooklynne: City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab, has so much fun ghost and spirits mythology. 
Tash: Lady Helen and the Dark Day club -without going into too much detail. There is a lot of superstition and magic involved.  It gets dark really fast and honestly scandalous....
Star: These Witches Don't Burn by Isabel Sterling. It's the first one in hopefully a series, I know she's writing book 2. It's witches like I've never really seen them before and it's super queer, which is even more awesome. AND it's set in Salem - what more could I want?
Brooklyn: I assume Harry Potter is acceptable? I mean, it was the first story completely laced with all the wondrous magic throughout! 
Kait: The Diviners by Libba Bray 

4. Witch’s Brew: Favourite witch character in any book/series.

Sarah: I went through a binge of reading the Charmed Comic Series's last year and no other witches thus far have taken the spot of the The Charmed Ones in my heart. I grew up wanting to be Pure, until she died, then to having the biggest crush on Phoebe. (I still need to watch the TV reboot that came out last year) 
Brooklynne: Oh This one is hard because part of me wants to instinctively say Hannah from These Witches Don't Burn, but on second though I really love Danny from The Lost Coast. I think I have to go with Danny. 
Tash: The Witch Who Courted Death - Casper is feminist as hell and I love her kick ass characters who support Casper.
Star: Hermione Granger, hands down. She's the most powerful witch and I am so in love with her.
Brooklyn: There's so many! But for this answer I'll choose Manon and The Thirteen from Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas.
Kait: Tea from The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco 

6. Haunted Graveyard: You’re all alone in a haunted graveyard, you get ONE book to give you comfort, which is it?

Sarah: I'd want something completely opposite from my surroundings, and something from my TBR list to keep my mind occupied. Ummm...lets go with...Making Friends with Alice Dyson by Poppy Nwosu.
Brooklynne: Hmm do I go dark, or light hearted. I think I'm going to have to go with something like Sky by Ondine Sherman, especially as it's on my TBR. 
Tash: The Bone Season, as I can use to whack anyone that comes my way and have Warden to keep me company.  
Star: One that will hopefully teleport me the eff out of there!! Hmm, if that doesn't happen, then probably The Princess Diaries book 1 - those books never fail to make me laugh.
Brooklyn: Can I choose all 7 Harry Potter books? ;) 
Kait: Nevermore by Jessica Townsend  

7. The Undead: Favorite supernatural creatures to read about (i.e. vampires, zombies, werewolves, etc).

Sarah: Werewolves - shapeshifters for sure! Zombies scare the crap out of me.
Brooklynne: I love reading about the various mythologies behind vampires, like heir orgin stories etc. I love books that specifically have unique takes on vampires. 
Tash: Werewolves- They are alphas, don't mind a good fight . Plus you can find them in Young Adult to Adult. There is a werewolf out there for everyone, you just need to read the right book.  
Star: Witches. There's SO much that can be explored and interpreted with witches. The magic systems alone are so fascinating to read about. Both Harry Potter and These Witches Don't Burn have magic and witches and couldn't be more different from each other. It's awesome.
Brooklyn: Witches, all the way! Though all of the above will always be enjoyable for me too! 
Kait: Vampires! I love reading about vampires, especially the scary kind.

8. In the dead of night: Pick a book with a black cover.

Sarah: Right To Silence (Paranormal Detectives #4) by Lily Luchesi 
Brooklynne: My version of The Knife of Never Letting Go has not only a black cover but black sprayed edges so it's the blackest black! 
Tash: Ninth House, as the aesthetics and snakes are hot right now. The foiling makes the title stand out more.
Star: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.
Brooklyn: Serpent & Dove was the first choice that came to mind :) 
Kait: The Island by M. A. Bennett

Thanks for taking the time to read the tag and get to know us all a bit better. Please let us know if you do the tag, we would love to come read it. Or you can post your own answers down in the comments!

1 comment

  1. ...I can't believe I chose Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, when Weapon by Lynette Noni exists. *facepalms*

    ReplyDelete

© AusYABloggers. Design by Fearne.