#AusYABuddyRead August : Legacy by Whiti Hereaka



Previously we’ve held chats for our monthly Buddy Reads over on twitter, but we know it’s hard for everyone to come together at one time, with time differences all over OZ and NZ, so we’ve decided to give a new format a try – a blog discussion post.


Our July buddy read was Legacy by Whiti Heraka



Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Riki is worried about school and the future, but mostly about his girlfriend, Gemma, who has suddenly stopped seeing or texting him. But on his way to see her, he’s hit by a bus and his life radically changes. Riki wakes up one hundred years earlier in Egypt, in 1915, and finds he’s living through his great-great-grandfather’s experiences in the Māori Contingent. At the same time that Riki tries to make sense of what’s happening and find a way home, we go back in time and read transcripts of interviews Riki’s great-great-grandfather gave in 1975 about his experiences in this war and its impact on their family. Gradually we realise the fates of Riki and his great-great-grandfather are intertwined.



This month’s questions have been supplied by the lovely Brooklynne @brookiegrrrl

1) Have you read Legacy? What did you think of it?

2) Did you enjoy it as a Historical Fiction? How about as a Fantasy novel? I thought it was an interesting blend of the two.

3) I really enjoyed the way it highlighted the drudgery and dullness that could be day time war while highlighting the brutality. What were your thoughts about how war was depicted?

4) The novel talks a lot about the colonisation of New Zealand and the racism that still persists. Was this something you found interesting?

5) Strong friendships are important in YA books. What did you think of the friendships that are built in this book?

6) What did you think of Riki's moral conundrums of becoming his own ancestor? What would you do in his place?

7) The book ends rather abruptly with a lot of unanswered question. What did you think? Is it how you would have ended the book?

8) Is there anything further that you wanted to discuss about Legacy?

9) Okay, last question! If you had to take the place of one of your ancestors, who would it be?

Comment down below and let us know your thoughts on Legacy, we'd love to read them.

1 comment

  1. 1. I honestly was confused by the premise after the reading the first chapter. By the end, I had the exact same feelings. There was some great moments from a historical perspective. However there could have been more done on the present issue that Rikki was facing.
    2. I have to agree Brooklynne with that conclusion. It's a kooky blend that isn't quite working.
    3. I think it was accurate, I feel this period is sometimes brushed over especially for the minorities who were treated second class. I enjoyed walking in his shoes.
    4. I grew up in New Zealand and I thought that racism was accurate in the past. I feel the current period, it's more tolerant. But my perspective is from a child who left still in the midst of childhood.
    5. The friendships in this book is a highlight. I enjoy the honest comradeship that guys had. It broke up the brutality and dullness of day to day life in the War.
    6. I think Rikki was torn between duty and trying to find his own ways. He was fooling people but honestly how was he going to convince people. I would have record the events and and tried to find my way back.
    7. I honestly was left confused by the ending. This was my first thought after reading the first few pages. I would have addressed the white elephant in the room. What happened Riki in present times as whilst the author said their lives were intertwined. The only common factor was the experience in the war. I would ended with Rikki reflecting and doing something with the situation at hand.
    8. The previous question addressed my main issue with this book.
    9. Hmm honestly I don't' know. I have a great uncle who was professor at Harvard so that could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete

© AusYABloggers. Design by Fearne.