Top 5 Tuesday - Star’s Top 5 Middle Grade Books Read In 2019



This week Star brings us her Top 5 Middle Grade Books Read In 2019




1) Redwood and Ponytail by K.A. Holt
I recently read this book and it is so darn sweet and cute. You can read my praising review over on my blog.
Redwood and Ponytail is written in verse, and it is about two girls who are navigating their first crushes – on each other! This was everything I wish I’d had when I was a young baby gay. 



2) Other Words For Home by Jasmine Warga
This book is also written in verse, and it follows the main character, Jude, who moves from her home country of Syria, for Cincinnati, USA. She has to navigate not only a new country, but a new school, and new friends.



3) The Peacock Detectives by Carly Nugent
I’m a massive fan of important topics, like mental health, being talked about in middle grade books. The Peacock Detectives follows Cassie, who, as it says on the tin – is a peacock detective. In the midst of searching for her neighbour’s missing peacocks, she finds more out about her family, and life, than she thought she would.
This precious book is also a #LoveOzMG novel! You can read my full thoughts in my review on my blog.



4) Drum Roll, Please by Lisa Jenn Bigelow
This book is another book baby gay me wishes she could have had.
Melly’s parents drop her off at summer camp right after telling her that they’re getting a divorce. Which is enough to rock any 12 year old’s world. She also has to navigate her BFF not being in her band group, and also her developing crush on a fellow girl camper.
I found this book was just so utterly wonderful.




5) The Little Wave by Pip Harry
Another book told in verse! I adored the first book of Pip’s that I read – Because Of You, so when I found out she had written a middle grade book, I leapt at the chance to read it.
This book follows three main characters, all of whom have their own issues going on, and are dealing with it in their own ways.
I loved how everything intersected and came together, it was such a sweet read.
This precious book is also a #LoveOzMG novel! You can read my full thoughts in my review on my blog.


Follow Star at Little Miss Star, Twitter, Instagram, and Goodreads


What's your pick for this week? Share on your blog, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, or in the comments below! Make sure you tag your posts with #AusYABloggers so we can share the love.

Post a Comment

© AusYABloggers. Design by Fearne.