Top Five: Chiara's Favourite Retellings



Hi, it's Chiara here :) For this week's Top Five post I thought I'd share my top five retellings, which wasn't as easy as I thought it would be because once I went to my retellings shelf on Goodreads there were so many books I love! But I did narrow it down to five that I would recommend in a heartbeat to anyone looking for an awesome retelling:



Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust
This queer retelling of Snow White is absolutely beautiful. I was blown away by this book and I wish more people were reading it. It is quiet and stunning, and not only focuses on a lovely f/f romance but also the relationship between the main character and her stepmother. There is so much to love about Girls Made of Snow and Glass and I highly recommend it!


Splintered by A.G. Howard
Splintered is a book that drew me in because of that incredible cover. And much to my delight the words inside captivated me just as much. This modern retelling of Alice in Wonderland had me riveted from start to finish. Nothing is what it seems in Alyssa's world, and the journey she takes you on is unforgettable. There's also a classic love triangle that will have you going back and forth on who she should really end up with.


Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier
A retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, Wildwood Dancing is hands down one of my absolute favourite books of all time. I have re-read it more times than I can count because there is no way I could tire of the beauty within its pages. This book is about sisters, family, love, and most of all: magic. There is so much to love about this book, and just thinking about it makes me want to go and pick it up again.


Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier
Another Juliet Marillier book because this is an author that knows how to write an amazing retelling. Heart's Blood is Marillier's take on Beauty and the Beast and it was stunning. I have shelved this book as New Adult as I think it would appeal to older YA readers and the overall feel of the novel didn't quite hit the strictly adult fantasy fiction realm for me. So I added in my little made up hashtag of #LoveOzNA at the bottom here because I think we need to celebrate NA more. But anyway. Heart's Blood is magical and romantic and will have you swooning from start to finish. Bonus: there are a lot of books in this book, as well as a beautiful library!
#LoveOzNA [View on Goodreads]



And I Darken by Kiersten White
And I Darken is a retelling of the famous tale of Vlad the Impaler. This book is brutal and badass and I absolutely love it. Watching Lada and Radu grow up brings you so much closer to them as characters. There's also a huge focus on their relationship as brother and sister, and as a reader I think it is the most important relationship in the book. Shamefully, I haven't read the sequels but I have a feeling I'll love them just as much as I did this one.




You can find Chiara via Books for a Delicate Eternity | Twitter | Instagram  | Goodreads



Hi there. Do you have a Top Five you want to share? 
We know we would love to read them! 
We are asking for our readers to share their bookish Top Five’s for the group blog.
We are hoping to get enough interest to make this a regular post – email your Top Five ideas to australianyabloggers@gmail.com to be featured.

Post a Comment

© AusYABloggers. Design by Fearne.