#LoveOzYABloggers - Historical

#LoveOzYABloggers is hosted by #LoveOzYA, a community led organisation dedicated to promoting Australian young adult literature. Keep up to date with all new Aussie YA releases with their monthly newsletter, or find out what’s happening with News and Events, or submit your own!

The #AusYABloggers team is very happy to have teamed up with #LoveOzYA to present #LoveOzYABloggers.

Historical - Sarah's Entry

When I saw the historical prompt, my mind went blank. I knew there was wonderful historical YA out there by Aussie’s, but my mind was blank. So this week’s post is a joint effort as I had to ask the other #AusYaBloggers mods for help. Tash, Nicole and Tole came to my rescue with some titles. I just shook my head and laughed at myself as their examples were either on my bookshelf or I had at least heard on them. Mind blank, more like mind just doesn’t function anymore – I need to read more.

20430528

Razorhurst by Justine Larbalestier

The setting: Razorhurst, 1932. The fragile peace between two competing mob bosses—Gloriana Nelson and Mr Davidson—is crumbling. Loyalties are shifting. Betrayals threaten.

Kelpie knows the dangers of the Sydney streets. Ghosts have kept her alive, steering her to food and safety, but they are also her torment.

Dymphna is Gloriana Nelson’s ‘best girl’, experienced in surviving the criminal world, but she doesn’t know what this day has in store for her.

When Dymphna meets Kelpie over the corpse of Jimmy Palmer, Dymphna’s latest boyfriend, she pronounces herself Kelpie’s new protector. But Dymphna’s life is in danger too, and she needs an ally. And while Jimmy’s ghost wants to help, the dead cannot protect the living . . .

[Add to Goodreads]

791345

Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay

It was a cloudless summer day in the year nineteen hundred.

Everyone at Appleyard College for Young Ladies agreed it was just right for a picnic at Hanging Rock. After lunch, a group of three of the girls climbed into the blaze of the afternoon sun, pressing on through the scrub into the shadows of Hanging Rock. Further, higher, till at last they disappeared. 
They never returned.

Whether Picnic at Hanging Rock is fact or fiction the reader must decide for themselves.

[Add to Goodreads]


26066905

Lady Helen and the Dark Days Club (Lady Helen #1) by Alison Goodman

London, April 1812. Lady Helen Wrexhall is set to make her debut at the court of Queen Charlotte and officially step into polite Regency society and the marriage mart. Little does Helen know that step will take her from the opulent drawing rooms of Mayfair and the bright lights of Vauxhall Gardens into a shadowy world of missing housemaids and demonic conspiracies.

Standing between those two worlds is Lord Carlston, a man of ruined reputation and brusque manners. He believes Helen has a destiny beyond the ballroom; a sacred and secret duty. Helen is not so sure, especially when she discovers that nothing around her is quite as it seems, including the enigmatic Lord Carlston.

Against a backdrop of whispered secrets in St James's Palace, soirees with Lord Byron and morning calls from Beau Brummell, Lady Helen and the Dark Days Club is a delightfully dangerous adventure of self-discovery and dark choices that must be made ... whatever the consequences.

[Add to Goodreads]

I had heard of Razorhurst but didn't really know what it was about. It is now on my TBR list (Thanks Tole for the Justine Larbalestier heads up). And who hasn't heard of Picnic at Hanging Rock (Thanks Nicole for making me laugh out loud, because how you I forget that one). And last but not least; I've got a thick and beautiful Lady Helen paperback sitting on my shelf waiting for me to read (Thanks for reminding me Tash). 

You can find Sarah via The Adventures of SacaKat  Twitter  Instagram and Goodreads

Post a Comment

© AusYABloggers. Design by Fearne.